Advice for students starting university
Going to university?
It all starts with some key questions
Whenever anyone asks me what is the best advice for students starting university, I always say the first thing you need to do is to make sure that you know yourself and what you really want for your future before you start to make any choices about universities and courses.
So, start with asking yourself these questions:
- Why am I going to university?
- What kind of job do I want at the end of it and where do I want to work?
- What kind of lifestyle do I want at university – the busy city or a calmer way of life in the country or by the sea?
Now think about how you learn and ask yourself
- How do I learn best, by doing things, reading, listening?
- What kind of assessments do I prefer (and do best in), the intense exam style or writing assignments?
- Do I want work experience as part of my degree?
Don’t just choose a course or university without asking yourself these fundamental questions.
It is easy to start university but difficult to finish if you find yourself studying the wrong thing in the wrong place, that is heading in the wrong direction.
For more advice for students starting university, have a look at my online university preparation course